#PrayForKyle

#PrayForKyle

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

A Day Of New Beginnings

 
Neither Kyle nor I got a good night's sleep last night.  I was told he has been sleeping only 4-5 hours a night. No wonder he is falling asleep in all his therapies.  Tonight he will be given a sleeping pill (I just might have to bribe them for one myself).

Even with his many yawns today, it was still a very encouraging day.  Cheryl, his speech therapist, saw the most improvements.  She was full of enthusiasm and encouragement and praise. Something I so strongly needed to hear.

I get excited each day I see something new, but in the back of my mind there still lurks those thoughts of  "what if he doesn't ever....."  or  "what if he can't.....".    And then these wonderful ladies allay my fears with what they see at the moment.  "Did you see that?"  Did you see him just nod?!!" 

We had some major things to get excited about today.  Kyle received a speaking valve! They also put a cap on his trake to close that airway.  That means he is breathing completely on his own. The trake is only there for safety to protect his airway when eating.   Which brings me to...... eating!

Kyle, about to savor his first taste of food, vanilla pudding.

Enjoying some chocolate milk.
Cheryl and Kyle, giving us a "thumbs up"!


        

There were also many encouraging moments in PT and OT.  Kyle was able to bring his knees together and then apart on command.

Here, Jasmine pulls a towel placed behind Kyle's back, to help with his posture.



Kyle's neck muscles are stretched out from non use, which makes it difficult for him to lift his head from this position.

Jasmine works on his shoulder and neck muscles to help strengthen them. 



If looks could kill (from both of them!)
                 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
 


We ended our afternoon enjoyably watching Motocross and basketball together, Kyle's two most favorite sports.

He was totally engaged!                                        

3 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading your updates every single day, thank you so much for doing these :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good. You are with him all the time so you wont notice the improvements as much as those who see him less often. Look forward to hearing how he is when he gets a visit from Greg and Sean. I hope they can see massive improvement !! I hope you take some time out now and then.....I think both you and Kyle will need that :-) Luv Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant Alex not Sean!!!! Been a hard week..that's my excuse :-)

    ReplyDelete