#PrayForKyle

#PrayForKyle

Monday, June 30, 2014

It's A Marathon, Not A Sprint

Yesterday, Sunday, was our day of rest.   No PT, OT or ST.   Not, at least, with the professionals.  I, on the other hand, continued to watch TV with Kyle, read to him, help take care of him, and of course have (probably annoying ) one way conversations with him. These are all beneficial therapies, although I wonder if he just wanted me to stop talking..... a typical conversation at home:

"Kyle, did you hear what I said?"

"No."

"Kyle, put your phone down and look at me so I know you are listening." 

(waiting) 

"Kyle!, Look at me and listen.

And so it would go at home.  But in all fairness, when he was in the mood, he could be so interesting to talk to.  Our best conversations would happen in the kitchen as I cooked dinner, and he would hop up on the counter and just tell me tons of stuff, about his friends, his girlfriends, his girlfriend problems, and lately about his excitement about his upcoming auto career and the new job he was going to start at Waterloo Motors.

The goals and dreams are simpler now, at least for the short term.  The therapy staff had a meeting with me today to go over what my long term goal was and then we would break it down.  I wasn't sure if this is what they meant, and I was afraid that this might sound shallow, but I said  "I want him to look athletic again".

Right after I said it, I felt I had to clarify it.   Again, thinking it sounded shallow,  I wanted them to know that if he were athletic looking again, that meant that he was working hard in Physical Therapy, and if he was working hard in PT, then he would have reached significant Cognitive levels, and if there were significant Cognitive changes, then his brain was really healing.

I think they understood.  What we came up with were some short term goals in order to meet the long term.   These short term goals are intended for his discharge date.  We would like to see him with good posture, no slumping, head held erect, shoulders back.  We would like better communication, to advance from yes and no signs to head nodding and then to speaking.  We would like him to be able to get in and out of bed with no assistance, so no hospital equipment has to come home, and then, hopefully, walking, with probable assistance.



This is Sam.  He is from Ghana.  He wanted to be a professional soccer player but then he broke his leg in the sport and his father said he was done.   And that's ok with me, otherwise I would never have met this wonderful nurse who takes care of my son.

When Kyle comes home, he will most likely need help getting dressed, as his arms are the least responsive.  The breaks in the right scapula and the left elbow and humorous have set things back a bit.







On the lighter side, here is Kyle with Ali and Leslie, trying to be suave and debonair with his Johnny Depp look.  Right? Tell me that's not a great look-alike.

I told him he needn't try so hard, they are all crazy about him just the way he is!






Here he is trying to win over his pulmonary technician with those beautiful baby blues.

Again, Johnny Depp Style ;)











5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joan, how long do they anticipate him being there?. Can he track right yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't know for sure. We are told around 8 weeks, but a lot depends on the insurance company and if they want to pay for more. Yes he can track right, but still prefers to look to the left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The goals seem very realistic, Joan, and with Kyle's perseverance, he will surprise us all and surpass all of them! I admire your strength and Kyle is sensing your faith in him and all his caretakers, therapist,docs, etc. So glad to hear your others boys ( or shall I say men) will be joining you soon! Hopefully you can get some down time & rest. Hugs, Mary Jo, & the rest of the Meding clan.

    ReplyDelete