#PrayForKyle

#PrayForKyle

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

"The One Conversation That Could Save Your Teens Life"

I mentioned a few writings back that I would share an interesting article with you. It's titled "The One Conversation That Could Save Your Teens Life (And Your Own)"

Here is an excerpt from it. If it catches your attention, you can read the rest at

http://momastery.com/blog/

I discovered this site a long time ago when I saw Nicole Jones post something from it.

Thanks, Nicole. I have been reading Momastery ever since....

"My friend and I talked about this. We spend hours talking to our kids' about WHY to say No, but we don't tell them HOW to say No. When they are put on the spot - they don't have hours to explain their decisions to their peers They have a split second. And while our teens and tweens want to make right decisions, they often want to avoid awkwardness even more. In the absence of a plan, they'll likely default to yes. Just like we so often do. Maybe they're not saying yes because they want to rebel - maybe they do really say yes because they don't know what else to say. They need help knowing, preparing. That is where we come in".

"So together we thought of sentences he could say to buy him time but not alienate him from his friends or make anyone feel like he was judging them." 


If this helps just one person I will be happy. Our older teens may be past this point, but for those of you with tweens out there, here's a good starting point.

So soon I will be posting photos of Kyle taken from the get go. I think it's a good time to repeat my previous advisory that some may be difficult to look at. Greg had actually taken a pic of him on day one. I wanted to smack him. I pushed his arm out of the way, and said very sternly "Don't you do that."

We laugh now because he says it's the one time he didn't listen to me and we're glad he didn't!

5 comments:

  1. It's your Journal Joan so post what you want. People don't have to look

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Carolyn. I have a mantra - its my blog and I'll do what I want to.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been quietly "stalking" your Facebook page, Caring Bridge, and now your blog trying to figure out how to pray for you all. I don't usually comment on blogs, but I need to let you know how many times I've shared your words from
    "Invincible Teens". Selfishly, I say, "Thank You," for sharing Kyle's story and your honesty of what you all are going through. "It's your blog and you can write what you want to." It just goes to show what sharing can do. We are all holding a space for Kyle and your family. Wrapping you all up in prayers, love, and light!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joan, it has been awhile since our paths have crossed. I remember your family from Ritchie. My most vivid memory is of the talent show when you joined Kyle on the stage for a karate performance! I believe the whole family was up there, but I'm not sure. I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for Kyle and the whole family. I pray for healing, strength, patience and courage. You will need them all and God can provide. Patricia Walker

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you so much for sharing your lives here. I am continuing to pray for Kyle and all of you..each day often throughout the day <3

    ReplyDelete