#PrayForKyle

#PrayForKyle

Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Accident

Things are moving pretty fast here at Shepard Center, and it's only day one.  This may be a good time to go back and write of the night of the accident.  This way we can try and close that chapter of this journey, and focus on what's to come.  And if I don't do it now, I will fall behind in writing when Kyle goes into more demanding rehab.

We are still looking for that good that can come out of this.  I don't know how many kids are reading Greg's and my journals, but if there are not many, then I hope the parents, our community, our teachers, our churches,our schools, will still keep the conversation alive with them.  It really touched me when one friend said that they sit down as a family every day to read our journals.

So here goes....

That night, as we neared the accident site, we saw a line of cars just waiting.  You see, they couldn't get through.  Ahead, were those familiar blue lights flashing away.  We pulled up behind that last car, jumped out, and just ran.  I remember passing all those people just sitting there watching us run.  I remember passing the oh so familiar K-9 Unit.  And then we reached the site.

So many medics, so many flashing lights, the police officers.  Greg had run faster than me, so I could not find him.  I looked down the embankment, and just kept asking everyone who was looking at me,

"Where is he?  Where is he?  Where is he?"

I must have asked it a million times, but no one would answer me, just these looks.  I was terrified.  Then I looked over to the right, and it was a sight I wish I had never seen.  It was Kyle's car just seemingly swallowed by the trees.

Words can't describe the feeling.

"Where is he? Where is he?"  is all I could keep yelling, but still no answers, just looks.  And then, there was Greg, running to me, saying  "He's been medevaced to Fairfax, come on, we have to go."

And that's it.  Nothing more was ever said.
 
It's been a long time since I really prayed.  I haven't been to church in a long time.  But on that long drive to the hospital, I prayed over and over and over to please just let him be alive when we got there.

"Please be alive, please be alive.  God please let him be alive."

That was my chant the whole way there, while Greg drove in silence.

That "still not knowing" as we waited in the lobby for someone to come get us, had me unable to breathe.  Greg was pacing up and down the hall.  I will always remember that one kind person who got up out of her seat to console me.  She spoke so softly and kindly to try and get me breathing normally.  I will forever remember her.  I have already payed it forward.  And so has Greg, many times over in that Trauma ICU.












.




9 comments:

  1. You're doing a great job on the Journal Joan. I know it must be hard re-living some of those moments over again and I hope you also get a sense of relief each time you write. I hope Kyle's friends and other young men and women can learn something by reading what you are all going through. I think we've all had our lucky moments and life experience is a wonderful thing. Unfortunately it takes some time before we are ready to learn from others misfortunes, but maybe there are some bright young people out there who can learn a little faster from your writing. Love to you all.........Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for opening your heart to us. Prayers and hugs to you and the family.

    -Lisa Heckathorn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joan, first I want to say is your words are extremely powerful. As I was reading about the night you found out about what happened, my insides started to quiver. Why? Your words were so powerful that it brought back the same feelings I had from over 10 years ago when my sister was in a car accident, was ejected from the car (not wearing her seat belt in the back, and this was probably the one and only time she didn't wear it), and was taken to Innova hospital. When we found out, we had no idea of the outcome. Just as your ride, most of the ride was silent. When got to the hospital. We were taken to a room where we waited. Finally, a doctor came to tell us that, Annie had passed away. I guess I am replying to add to your message that you are trying to send others. As guilty as I am for not wearing my seat bellt at times, we all need to be reminded that it only takes one time. Who knows what the outcome would have been if either Kyle or Annie would have been wearing it, but one certainly has to wonder. My husband, Pete and I, are friends with Greg. We are both hoping for a great recovery for Kyle, as well as strength for you and Greg. If either of you need anything, please let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Mrs. Testa for sharing your story. I am so sorry to hear what happened to your sister. Our stories are so important to be told, so they reach our teens, or anyone who does not truly understand the risks we take, and the outcomes that come from those risks.











    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for the formality, please....Call me Lisa. My Blogger account is used professionally. As a teacher, I have to go with the Mrs. Testa. You are doing a great job keeping everyone informed. I am glad to see Kyle's advancements!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How terrifying! I am truly shaken by that story. It's unfortunate that Kyle had to go through that terrible experience. I know he is faring better these days, so I hope that 2015 will be a brighter year for him. Car accidents are truly scary. Anyway, thanks for being brave to share that! I wish all of you the best. Take care! :)

    Sabrina Craig @ Medical Attorney NY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your well wishes, Sabrina. They are appreciated.

      Delete
  7. This is a very tragic event. I can only imagine the stress you’ve felt in fear for Kyle at that moment. Emotions do tend to build up at times like these, and one doesn’t simply get over the fear of the unknown. Anyway, it’s nice to know that he’s doing a lot better nowadays. Hope you guys are doing well.


    Leticia Holt @ Kim E. Hunter, PLLC

    ReplyDelete
  8. One thing that my lawyer did was to send out a team of accident investigators to where my accident was. Even though it was weeks later, they took plenty of pictures and video that was perfect for painting a picture for the jury so they could actually feel like they were right there at the scene the day my accident happened.

    Raymond @ Nova Legal Group

    ReplyDelete