#PrayForKyle

#PrayForKyle

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Children Learn What They Live


Butting Heads

Alex has gone home and I am back sleeping in Kyle's room.  We both slept well, and the morning began peacefully;  no screaming during his bath, he spoke civilly to Ali and Rachel, and he spoke nicely when he asked to have his shoulder scratched.

On to breakfast and a different story unfolds.  Grunts of anger and lots of pointing when he didn't like the table I chose (I'm guessing).  It's like being with a toddler.  I told him I couldn't help him unless he told me what was wrong.  To me it looked like his stubbornness was shining through.  He then would not even feed himself, nor let me feed him.  And the clincher was when I asked him to look at me (so I could explain why he needed to eat) he actually closed his eyes!

I couldn't help but smile to myself, seeing that stubborn streak still there.  I did, however, feel the need to leave to avoid butting heads, and asked a staff member to take over.  It was later explained to me that it was more likely his confused state of mind.  I can  only hope I can bring even a portion of what I have learned here back home with me.

Just a sidenote, it is sooooo much easier here to practice patience and to speak softly and to think about the right things to say before we speak, than out there in the jungle.  That's because everyone here does that. They lead by example. It brings to mind this poem that we all know so well.

"Children Learn What They Live"

http://www.blinn.edu/socialscience/LDThomas/Feldman/Handouts/0801hand.htm

If you listen carefully to the therapists voices in the following videos, and you will get a sense of the kindness and understanding that fills this place.


Standing Videos From Yesterday

Since Kyle started becoming vocal,  I wanted to document his voice progression with video.  I did not succeed at that goal.  So here are some videos of him practicing standing, with a few of his milder outbursts for your viewing pleasure.







                                         



The Speech Therapy videos demonstrate what efforts Kyle can make at talking, although this rarely happens outside of Speech Therapy.  And that, of course, is why Cheryl does what she does!  She has a gift.




                                          


















No comments:

Post a Comment