#PrayForKyle

#PrayForKyle

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

A Salute To Troop 911

Today started out like most any other day;  up and ready for breakfast, check the Therapy schedule on the white board, travel on to the gym where the patients "dine", and greet everyone you pass with a friendly "Good morning"!

We get Kyle's table, we get his food tray, I leave to get my coffee, and Alex starts helping Kyle eat. An hour later, the therapies begin.

We always look forward to that something "new" that Kyle so often gives us each day. This morning we had a special Music therapy, by appointment only!  I was anticipating it so much, only to find we weren't allowed to watch.  First time ever not being able to share his progress.  : (

Next up, Speech Therapy, which was a little of an eye opener today.  We have been so enthralled with his ability to remember so many things from the past, that I lost sight of his memory of the present.  Kyle has trouble remembering what he ate for breakfast, or what his therapists names are, or that we went to the Garden yesterday and played catch.

Emma says  "It will come in time.  Day to day will likely be a challenge.  Focus should be on comprehension and expression and on new learning."     Ok, our new goal!

Before you know it, it's lunch time.  Today was combined with a Physical Therapy session.  It was also another bit of an eye opener.   A "standing frame" was introduced, which assists the patients with extended standing time.  It is used at lunch with the idea that eating will get the patients minds off the fact that they are standing, and for a prolonged period of time.



I'm not sure, but this may have back-fired for Kyle.  It brought the worst out in him. His agitation level rose. While this should be taken seriously, Alex and I could not help to find some humor in it.  I think it just comes from knowing Kyle's personality......

Even when we get frustrated we don't normally refer to our foods as an expletive.  In Kyle's current recovery stage it takes him ten times to stab a little bite of food . When his chicken kept slipping off his fork, instead of asking for help he shouted (quite loudly mind you),   "Little bastards!" 
















Kyle became very quiet after that.  He did not want to talk.  Both Emma and Jasmine asked if we knew why there was this change in him.  I could only suggest that standing while eating lunch, with the added frustration level, and anxiety, probably wore him out.  We continued on with electrostimulation in the afternoon.

There was some definite muscle response, and little Leo was a driving force to get Kyle to reach for him.

Although we may have started out the day a little rough, the time with Jasmine was very productive.  Towards the end of Kyle's session, Jasmine was trying to get Kyle to raise his arm outward and upward by using his deltoid.  Watching him struggle, I came up with an idea.....

I reminded Kyle that his Scout mates from Troop 911 were scuba diving this week on their live aboard sailboat in the Bahamas.  I suggested he give them a send-off salute.  I told him I would post it on FB and I was sure they would see it.  He liked that idea and agreed to try.  So here is a salute to Kyle's Scout mates of Troop 911.  Wishing he were there with you!




A big thanks to Greg for encouraging me to take the course with Kyle.  Just two weeks before the accident, I am left with such a wonderful memory.


               Be safe and have fun, Troop 911!  We're thinking of you!

       






5 comments:

  1. I'm sure you have this figured out Joan, or maybe the therapists have told you, that the frustration levels are going to be on the rise now. The more Kyle remembers and the more he tries to do things, the more angry he is going to be that he can't just do these things now. The trick is to turn that frustration and anger into effort. That's the hard part!! I don't envy you or the therapists in having to come up with continuous ways to encourage Kyle to make the effort. It's also easy to lose sight of just how much Kyle is progressing when you are with him everyday. But he IS progressing and that's fantastic. You all hang in there !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carolyn! Love all your encouraging words! I have to fill in for Alex, now that he has gone back home. Kyle would do ANYTHING for Alex! Now I have to get Kyle to feel that way about me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Joan the "little bastards" made me laugh out loud! I know I shouldn't have because he's so frustrated but it caught me off guard. Love your family stories and I think he's doing so well for only being there a month or less. Big hugs to you all !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it made you laugh, Peggy! My purpose was fulfilled! :) Got to keep some humor to help keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Margaret...I think I would have been tempted to call them something too...trying to eat while standing up and trying to get the things on the fork...how frustrating! You are so amazing. Keep up the amazing work, Joan, Kyle, Greg and Alex...I'm praying daily for strength..continued improvement...rest..encouragement...

    ReplyDelete