#PrayForKyle

#PrayForKyle

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Sunday Again, Solitaire, And A Gift

It's Sunday..... AGAIN  :(

It's Sunday and Greg has gone.  Here I am the sole punching bag for Kyle's frustrations. And that can be taken literally.  He has used my arm as a punching bag while he's laying in bed, and there I am, just only trying to help him.  But for right now, it is just the verbal abuse while I help him eat breakfast.

The absence of activity on the weekends adds to the unwelcomed mood.  There is no hustle and bustle of mealtimes and therapy and doctors rounds and medication rounds.  Less patients and caretakers means less smiling faces too. Kyle has already called me stupid and a bitch.  At least I don't take it personal anymore.  I brush it off but it still makes me feel sad.

I offered to take him to the garden, thinking it would do us both good.  He said no.  The last two times he has had minor meltdowns out there, so I won't push it.  I'm getting to know his stimulation limitations a little better.  So we watched TV together instead.

Turns out, watching TV was a good thing.  We watched one of my favorite shows, The Sunday Morning Show.  Always something captivating or inspirational there.  We then watched an auto mechanic show, and we finished the afternoon with college football and high school basketball.

Kyle's first passion and dream to be an NBA player came well before his Motocross passion.                 


 

Solitaire

I did take time out for an hour in the garden by myself and I managed to get Kyle interested in playing a game of Solitaire.
At first I tried to guide his arm to play the cards himself.  But this got too frustrating, so I let him tell me where to play them.  He started out with pointing or motioning with his head, but somehow I convinced him he needed to tell me what he wanted to play.

 I don't want anyone to think that Kyle is talking in elaborate sentences. Getting him to speak is like pulling teeth.  But I was so impressed with his directions to me in this game,as simple as they were, "four on the five" or "queen on the king",   it made me feel like a therapist for the weekend.  I knew just what he needed!  And, he knew just what I needed <3

Happy Endings and Two Gifts

Our tech tonight, Isaac, was our redemption.  He was so funny, he kept Kyle doing his little chuckle thing and had me in stitches.  There are some techs here who just have a "gift".  Isaac said he loves his job.  Issac helped Kyle find laughter tonight.  Not much more to say about that.

Kyle received another gift over the weekend.  It actually made me tear up when I showed it to him and read it too him.  Thank you sooooo much Alyssa Rodemsky for the beautiful bracelet for Kyle.  You have no idea how special this is.





“Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh?" he whispered."Yes, Piglet?"  "Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's hand. "I just wanted to be sure of you.” ― A.A. MilneWinnie-the-Pooh



4 comments:

  1. As our pastor once said to me when I was traveling a dark and lonely path, "We strike out at the ones that we know love us unconditionally, because they'll love us no matter what we do, and right now, you've got a big bullseye on your chest." He further advised to think of all the hurtful words as being in word bubbles, like a comic strip, and the love of Jesus, family, and friends bursts those lies and hurt. You are doing an amazing job, Joan. Retreat to your garden or other quiet spot to rest and rejuvenate whenever necessary. It's ok. Love and hugs, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though you know logically why here is lashing out at you I'm sure it still must hurt you very deeply...as a mother it HAS to hurt. Can you give me your address there?I would like to send you something?. Give Kyle a kiss for us. Tell him we love him

    ReplyDelete
  3. You inspire me to be a better mom. Praying for your sustenance and strength. Every insult, every set back, though painful, is a stepping stone toward the prize. Keep your eyes on the prize!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still not playing Solitaire on your mobile device? Download The Coolest Version (Available for iOS & Android)

    ReplyDelete