#PrayForKyle

#PrayForKyle

Monday, August 11, 2014

What A Little Shit

Starting the day off right.

It's Monday morning and I couldn't have asked for a better beginning!  Kyle transferred to his chair, transferred to the shower, then got dressed.  All this in under 20 minutes time, and with full cooperation. I don't know if he has ever done that at home!

In addition to that, Physical Therapy trained me in transferring also, and Kyle only got angry at me twice. Just a few little growls. I think I can handle that. I accidentally banged his bad hand against the sink.  Imagine when your foot or arm falls asleep and the tingling sensation begins and someone comes and starts banging it.  You get the picture. You'd probably growl too.

Good reports continued from Jasmine and Deborah (filling in for Cheryl today).  Flash back to our fourth day here when I first met Deborah as she filled in for Cheryl back then.....

"What a long way you have come, Kyle, as today you very capably moved your way around a Monopoly board!  Afterwards, Deborah, your proud substitute speech therapist said to me, "Kyle really knows his properties!" "

Continuing through the afternoon, Melanie reported that she had Kyle on the parallel bars.
"He could do that using just one hand???"  I asked in astonishment.
"Yes...... I kept one hand on his belt, but yes, he did it."

I would have loved to have seen that!  Maybe I won't skip all his therapies from now on.  I am missing the photos just as much as everyone else probably is.

What a little shit....

Soooo,  about that transferring......  that does include putting him on the "john".

Here I am, feeling pretty good after my first successful attempt in the morning.  So after dinner, I push Kyle, in his wheelchair, into the bathroom, and the process begins.

"Ok Kyle, ready?  Put your hand on the chair arm for support.  Ready?" (My feet are wide, knees bent, back straight, two hands on his belt)  "Ok, stand up.....goooood....now pivot your foot,  don't trip on the chair.  Come on Kyle, step and turn."   

No movement, just this very loud growl.

"Come on, Kyle turn and sit down"

"Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" was all I got.  Therein continued his growling and out came his stubbornness.  He refused to turn and sit and with his strength tried maneuvering to stand and face the toilet and waaaay outdo my strength.

Excuse the pun, but he scared the crap out of me.  Here I am trying to stay balanced while fighting with a sixteen year old teen who just wants to pee like normal!  I just gave one good yell,  "I need help in here!"  in hopes that someone would here me. How scared I was that we were both going to go flying.

I did get a very quick response.  I'm not even sure who it was, but with such professionalism, remaining calm, and sweet talking Kyle, we got him turned around and sitting.

It wasn't funny at the time, but now that it's over, there is some humor in that little shit waiting for me to help him, to try and get away with something.  "Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"


Gotta love him, though.





No comments:

Post a Comment