#PrayForKyle

#PrayForKyle

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Family Fun And Games

Sorry for the too many days of no updates.  Excuses?  no excuses?..... I don't know, maybe I just need to get out of here.....

On the positive side, I think I would say that company was "just what the doctor ordered".  And not just for Kyle, but for me too! It was wonderful to have my mom, my brother, and Alex for almost four days.

The change that came over Kyle was so apparent.  It came on gradually over the entire weekend, but by the end he had us smiling and laughing, and even apologized to Grandma for saying some things that were just a little mean. He initiated the apology!  Not baby steps, but gigantic leaps in my eyes.

Today, another meaningful little snipit  "I'm sorry Mom".  "For what?"  For holding you up." (I had told him I was going to run errands, but then he needed my assistance.)   "Oh Kyle, don't worry about that, your more important right now".

On the negative side, was the big disappointment that we were not allowed to take him out as hoped, even with a successful Chick-fil-a run, but we made adjustments, and I think it turned out quite fine.


 My trial run outing to Chick-fil-a with Cheryl and Anastasia was fun.
Kyle was very well behaved and appropriate as I knew he would be.  My "training" was to push him in his wheelchair and learn street smarts....
how to keep him on the inside of the sidewalk....and sandwich him between two people when crossing the street .....  and watch for cars cutting the corner when turning.... and how to get him up a curb if there is no cut-out..... basically common sense stuff.   It was easy and good exercise pushing him up the hill.








To make up for not being allowed out with my family,  we had an enjoyable lunch that we picked up from Subway, and took back to Kyle to eat in the family lounge.








Grandma, Uncle Carl, and Kyle

We enjoyed a great weekend of games, the highlight being Monopoly, but the longest game of Uno I've ever played was also fun, and a fast paced word game in which Kyle said in his slow monotone voice, "Grandma, you suck at this game" which had us all in stitches.  Yes, Uncle Carl and Kyle trumped me and Grandma easily in that word game.





This 3 hour Monopoly game had to be called for dinner, but we knocked out Alex, and Uncle Carl was on his way.  Kyle had 3 hotels and wanted to hang in there for the long haul.  More stamina than we ever expected.'

 And of course, the highlight family photo.....

Through humor, you can soften some of the worst blows that life delivers. And once you find laughter, no matter how painful your situation might be, you can survive it.  ~  Bill Cosby



4 comments: