#PrayForKyle

#PrayForKyle

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Moving Forward!

Tuesday and Wednesday

Lots has been happening since the beginning of this week.  Kyle had two subs on Monday and Tuesday, for speech and occupational therapies.  I have stayed away in the best interest of Kyle, which has allowed me to enjoy my own time (I found the Mall!), but I can't tell you how much I miss watching his progress.

I did sneak in on Tuesday to see what the occupational sub was doing.  I must say, I feel a bit like I'm paparazzi!   I hide around corners or behind exercise equipment, hoping to catch that "moment". Have you noticed that many of the latest photos of Kyle are of his back?  I assure you, it's not because I prefer the therapists more than Kyle.

Jasmine's occupational therapy substitute.  They are working on posture and reaching with Kyle's right arm.

Yesterday, Melanie took Kyle down to the "real" gym, as I call it.  I call it this only because it requires a membership, and many former Shepard patients come to use it.  This is where Alex, Greg and I work out.  She said he did very well.  Not much talking, but at least behaviorally appropriate.

We are going on our first outing tomorrow!  Cheryl and Anastasia are taking Kyle and me to Chick-fil-a for breakfast!  I'm so excited.  It means that when company comes this weekend, we can take him out with us (if he acts appropriately).  Which brings me to our company.  My mom, my brother (Kyle's uncle and godfather) and Alex are coming.  I hope this does wonders for Kyle, as he still has some behavioral issues that are holding him back from out-patient.

Thursday

On top of all Kyle's therapies this morning, Kyle was administered a three hour long neuropsych test in the afternoon.  It tests where he is currently with thinking, reasoning, memory, and things like that.  When he was returned to his room, I asked why they do this in the afternoon, after such a busy day.  The tester said it imitates the real world, to see how he does with a full day, to see how he would handle a long day of therapy and cognitive learning at Shepard's out patient facility.  I will get the results tomorrow......

I always like to save the best for last.  So here goes....

First thing this morning, Melanie arrived and announced that Kyle would not be using his chair to go from bed to bath.  I watched Kyle walk to the bathroom, stand to brush his teeth,  and then watched him leave his room, minus one chair.  I was all smiles.






Seems that long trek to the gym may have just been a little too much?  Hmmmm,  looks like the old Kyle.

Oh, one more thing!  Kyle got his self propelled chair back and is                                              loving the freedom!





No comments:

Post a Comment