#PrayForKyle

#PrayForKyle

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Shepherd's Pathways and Labor Day

A week and a half has passed and Kyle and I have settled into our new premises and we are adjusting to our new routine.  It hasn't come without it's difficulties, but every day brings new light. The hurdles of last week have become easier (not gone, but easier because of how I choose to deal with them).

My latest hurdle now, is convincing Kyle daily that it is in his best interest to stay and finish his therapies here in Atlanta.

"I need to go home."

"I know Kyle, me too."

"No seriously, you don't understand, I need to go home.  I am so done with Georgia."

I should have asked him if Georgia was a new girlfriend that I didn't know about.  It is soooo easy to make him laugh these days.  Next time, I'll be quicker ;)

Now, at the risk of embarrassing Kyle, I feel that if we are still telling our story to families, young and old, then this blog should really be an open book.

As Kyle recently said, "I want everyone to know not to have a car accident, because the therapies are hell!",  then I must say, taking care of a brain injury teen is like going back to toddlerhood. Yes, he had to learn to walk, to talk, and more.  And for me at age 58, that takes a lot of patience. We are well beyond most of that, but since Kyle sleeps 12 hours a night, and does not get out of bed unassisted, he still has nightly mishaps. And gone are the wonderful night shift techs at Shepherd Center who handled all that. But alas, I know, this too shall pass. Just can't wait to get a good nights sleep.

"Life is what you make it."



I gave this to Kyle a year ago on his birthday.  It was in his Shepard room, but now sits next to his bed in this apartment. Seems apropos right about now.










This past week has seen many improvements in Kyle.  His walking is getting so much stronger.  And there is such an increase in Kyle's talking. He is now asking more questions about the accident. Yesterday, Greg asked him if he wanted to see the photos of Alex's car and he said yes.   I also decided to finally take a peek.  I worried that curiosity would kill the cat.  But all went well for both of us (I really did only peek, it was the most that I could do).  He also wishes he could remember the accident, so he is asking for more details. I am reliving it all, but it's all good.

To tackle the hurdle of Kyle missing family and friends, I took a risk, and decided to fly him to NJ for our family's annual Labor Day/Uncle Carl's birthday.  I kept it a surprise from everyone except Greg.  The reactions, as you can imagine, were priceless.

It was a bittersweet weekend though.  Dad recently went to a nursing home, and Mom sold the house. It was a weekend of happiness coupled with hard work.


Happiness....

and hard work!
Happiness....

and hard work!


Uncle Carl, the birthday boy!


Playing in Grandma's mulch.









Our empty dining room.  So many good meals and good company.


Our traditional Christmas portraits on Labor Day.  


Good times and so much laughter in this old kitchen!





 









Memories

Saying goodbye to 90 years of Samol/Maser family times. 


So handsome, so Kyle, <3




2 comments:

  1. It's good Kyle is asking questions I reckon. It should give him a better idea of why he is where he is and why he has to be there :-) Be nice to your Mom Kyle Pinelli. She brought you into this world and she's been the number one person making sure you get what you need to be able to be the best you can. Luv to all, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete